Sunday, July 1, 2012

Weekend Recap

I have a love/hate relationship with Sundays. It's part of the weekend, but it's also the end. I'm not exactly happy to go back to work tomorrow, but hey, at least I had a fun weekend.

Friday night Cody and I grabbed a pizza and watched The Eagle and then 300. We've been going on a Greek/Roman movie spree lately. I was thankful to have him around Friday night since Link is going batshit around my room since his surgery. I haven't let him spend any time out of my room which means he hasn't been able to play with Cody's cat, Ari. I was at my wit's end and Cody was a champ to keep Link in line before I went psycho mom on him.

Saturday we went and saw Ted in theaters. I laughed at some parts of the movie, but it's very much a guy movie. I'm also not a fan of Family Guy and they're both directed by Seth McFarlane so they had a lot of the same kind of humor. Even though I wasn't a big fan of the movie, I enjoyed going out to spend time with Cody. It's been super sunny out so maybe this upcoming week we'll take a break from the movie theater and go out to the beach or go hiking if I can convince Cody to spend his day off trekking through the woods. After Cody went to work I spent my afternoon baking up mac and cheese, which I'll be posting the recipe for tomorrow. I wanted to have some dinners in reserve in the freezer so I'm not scrambling to make something to eat after cheer practice. I also like knowing Cody's fridge will be full of healthy food that's also really yummy. I had a serving of my mac and cheese for dinner and then had the last bit of my peanut butter cup ice cream which I topped with hot fudge sauce. I figure I'll just eat all the bad stuff in my house so I'm not tempted to eat them, logical right? Ha, actually no, I don't do that, except for the gummy worms I had for the movie...

Sunday we relaxed at home and watched the Food Network until Cody went to work. I love watching cooking shows with someone who understands cooking and who will talk food with me. Once Cody went to work I cooked up a pot of roasted tomato and black bean soup to portion up and freeze for future dinners. It's so good I'm sharing the recipe with all of you.

Roasted Tomato and Black Bean Soup
Recipe by Ellie Krieger from So Easy
Yields 4 servings--serving size: 2 cups
7 medium tomatoes, quartered
1 large onion, cut into large pieces (about 1.5 inches)
3 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
5 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
Two 15.5-ounce cans black beans (preferably low sodium) drained and rinsed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder

1. Preheat the oven to 375. Toss the tomatoes, onion, and garlic with the oil, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper in a large bowl, then transfer to a baking sheet.
  Roast until the garlic cloves have softened, the edges of the onions are browned, and the tomatoes have collapsed, 35 to 40 minutes, stirring once after the first 20 minutes.
2. Transfer the roasted veggie mixture to a 4-quart saucepan. Add the broth, beans, cumin, chili powder, and the remaining salt and pepper. 

Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and blend until smooth with an immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender. Divide among 4 bowls and garnish with a dollop of sour cream or oyster crackers.
 Nutrition facts:
Calories: 178
Fat: 1.25 g
Sodium: 877 mg
Protein: 9.9 g
Carbs: 29.5 g
Fiber: 9.5 g
Sugar: 19.5 g


How was it?
It was delicious! It was creamy and thick from the beans. Definitely a winner

My parents grilled up some steaks for dinner and I had my stepdad grill up a veggie burger for me. Morningstar makes griller veggie burgers which I'm extremely excited for. After dinner my mom and I made smores with our new barbeque:
 My mom got the gigantic marshmallows so they didn't fit on the graham crackers very well.
Now I'm catching up on my favorite cooking show while I wait for True Blood to start.

What's your favorite kind of soup?
Smores yay or nay? 

No comments:

Post a Comment