Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Pumpkin Bread Pudding for Two

Lately I've seen a bunch of recipes for pumpkin stuff, I mean hello! Thanksgiving is next week!
And while I do love me some pumpkin pie I'm trying to keep things healthy so I wanted to figure out some kind of dessert that combined the taste of pumpkin with something that wasn't crazy bad for you.
So that's where bread pudding came in...

Dairy-Free Pumpkin Bread Pudding 
For Two
Serves two...obviously
Ingredients:
2 slices of day old whole wheat bread
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/8 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon pure maple syrup (not pancake syrup!)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling!)
1/8 cup raisins
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon      

How do I make it?
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. If you haven't let the bread sit out over night, pop it in the oven to toast up a little bit. If you did, skip the toasting and cube the bread.
3. Mix the wet ingredients together in a bowl. Add raisins and mix together.  Add bread and fold gently to coat all the pieces. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes to soak up some of the liquid.
4. Scoop bread into a ramekin (or two whatever you want) and bake for 35-40 minutes. The top will be a little crispy and the middle will be a little gooey. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
Per serving:
Calories: 181    Fat: 2g    Carbs: 39g    Sugar: 25.5g    Protein: 4g


How was it?
It was aaaaamazing! The bread had a creaminess to it that reminded me of pumpkin pie with just a little crispiness from the top.  The raisins had a nice little burst with each bite. I highly recommend you go make it and eat it for Thanksgiving...or anytime you feel like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment