Saturday, November 10, 2012

Branching Out

I've heard of quinoa a lot and also heard it was really easy to screw up. Needless to say I was a little intimidated to try my hand at making it.
But boy am I glad I jumped into it, it's freaking delicious!


For those of you who have no idea what quinoa is, like myself, lemme give you a fast lesson.
  • Quinoa is pronounced keen-wah (no matter how many times I tell my mom this, she can't say it right...love you Mom!)
  • Quinoa is actually a seed and not a grain
  • It has a high-protein content, a little over 8 grams per cup of cooked quinoa
  • It is low in fat
  • Great source of iron and fiber
  • Is gluten-free

Making it is super simple so don't be intimidated!
The first time I made it I was mentally freaking out that it was going to be undercooked and taste horrible, but thankfully it came out perfectly.
My fail-proof method is 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water, bring to boil, cover and reduce to simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat (but keep that lid on!) and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and mix in whatever you want.

Check out Pinterest for some delicious recipes (I have a few on my board so check out my link to the right).

Go buy some quinoa and experiment! It's a delicious little grain seed.

 Quinoa with garlic olive oil, green beans, corn, and carrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment