Thursday, March 6, 2014

Different Priorities

When I was in high school I pictured my future as married at 18 to my high school boyfriend and starting a family by 21. I had a loose idea of what I wanted to do work-wise, but I pictured myself more as the woman who stays home and takes care of the house and then a SAHM when the babies arrived.
Once my high school boyfriend and I broke up suddenly I realized "oh hey, you're a senior in high school, you should probably figure out what to do afterwards." That's when I decided I wanted to be a chef.

When I met my ex-fiance I was sort of floating along in college, not completely sure what I was doing or where I was going. When we moved out and I had to put school off my focus turned towards getting married and starting a family ASAP because I sort of felt like an adult living on my own and working full-time. It was almost like I felt it was the next step, even though at 19 I had no idea what I was doing.

Once we broke up I realized I needed to get on track for a career rather than a family at such a young age. I finished taking a year off of school, realized what I really wanted for my career, and dove back into getting back on track. When my 21st birthday went by and I realized if I had followed my original path of starting a family at 21, I was beyond thankful I had changed my path. 
Not putting down anyone, but I know myself and I get frustrated with my cat when he does something he shouldn't be doing...I'm not ready to parent a child yet.

Where am I going with this whole post?
Today I realized that I'm finally on track and where I want to be. I'm 22 and I work at a gym I plan to stay at for quite a long time, almost graduated from college, will soon be a NASM certified personal trainer, and a Zumba instructor. I plan on moving out this summer and no where in those plans do babies come up for a long time. I love kids, don't get me wrong, but I just don't have the patience to take care of my own. Back in high school I didn't picture myself as a career woman--the kind that puts their career first over starting a family-- but here I am.
I'm thankful I've had parents to support me through my journey and helped me achieve what I want, and I'm thankful I have my best friend as my boyfriend who supports me through everything and pushes me to be more.

Now, I'm getting better at scheduling things so I'll have some new recipes and other fun things coming up on the blog soon!!

Have you ever had an epiphany about changing the path of your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment