Saturday, November 16, 2013

Vegetarian Tortilla Soup

It's been getting pretty chilly around here and I've been in a soup mood.
I won't lie, I've never had tortilla soup before and Michael and I were having a Mexican quinoa casserole and I just wanted some soup to go with it. So behold my crazy googling to figure out what was in tortilla soup and then I made my own version.

Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large zucchini, chopped
1 large potato, diced
1 bag of frozen yellow corn
15 ounce cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
1 small can of diced green chiles
1 can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
About 6 cups of low-sodium vegetable broth
1.5 teaspoon chile powder
1.5 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Unsalted corn tortilla chips

1. Heat the oil over medium high heat in a large stock pot,  add the onion, zucchini, and potato and saute until soft, about 5-10 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for a minute.
2. Add the corn, tomatoes, chiles, beans, vegetable broth, and spices. The broth should just cover the vegetable mix, if need be supplement with water.
3. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer for 35 minutes. Ladle into bowls and top with crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, and cheese.


It's warm with a little kick from the spices and chiles and packed with veggies and beans. Definitely a quick soup to put together and enjoy on the cold nights!
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. COOL. It's very close to the chili recipe I make (minus broth double/triple cumin & chili powder) so super yummy! I'll try out the soup! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was to die for! I practically inhaled my entire bowl, and I'm not a big soup fan! I hope you like it

      Delete