Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Let's Have a Serious Chat

I'll be honest here, I've been wanting to write this post for a few days now, but every time I've sat down to write it I just couldn't do it. I didn't want to admit I have a problem, but I finally pushed myself to write about it.

When I first started reading health food/fitness blogs a lot of the authors had eating disorders (we'll call them EDs so I don't have to write eating disorder everytime). They wrote how they beat their ED or how they're slowly healing from it. When I started this I thought I'm one of the few who doesn't have one. I am in no way discounting EDs, I've just noticed this trend. It wasn't until one of my fellow bloggers wrote about this disorder that I realized, "Holy crap, that's me." Yeah, that's right, I'm admitting to you all I've got an ED. Well technically it's not categorized as an ED, but it's an obession and it's not healthy. Orthorexia nervosa is more than likely something you've never heard of, but it's a real thing. It's an obsession with eating healthy food and avoiding anything that is unhealthy.

I haven't let this ED overrun my eating habits yet, but I'm so thankful I caught it and can work on it. I feel there is a difference between mindful eating and orthorexia. I try to be conscientious of what I eat, but sometimes I take it a little too far. If I ever treat myself with pizza or ice cream I hear a little voice in the back of my head telling me how bad that is for me and then I feel guilty for indulging myself. That's. Very. Bad! You should never feel guilty for indulging yourself. And that's when I started to realize I had a problem, but I could never classify it because I had never heard of orthorexia. Now I have and will strive to overcome this. From time to time I may write about my struggles or thoughts and I hope you'll bear with me through it all.

For some more information

No comments:

Post a Comment