Thursday, January 12, 2012

A New Goal

When I wrote my resolutions a couple posts back I completely forgot one of my major goals this year. I'm (attempting) to run the Wharf to Wharf race! 6 miles of hilly terrain, my body feels exhausted just thinking about it. Years ago when I was a cheerleader we handed out water to the runners and I thought to myself "why the hell would anyone run 6 miles?" and now I'm one of those crazies signing up for it. A couple years back my mom and I signed up for it and walked because there was no way in hell you were getting me to run 6 miles in my first ever race. It was fun to walk the race, but my competitive self kept seeing people running by me and the whole time I thought "next time that'll be me." So here I am, a few years later, training for my first ever race (we'll call my walking a test run yes?)

Now going from not running a whole lot to 6 miles is pretty insane and I definitely don't intend to run all 6, but I want to run at least half. I've heard a lot of buzz about this program called C25K which is short for Couch to 5K. In case nobody wants to do the conversion 5K is 3 miles, exactly half of my race. Anyway, C25K gets you going from practically no running at all to 3 miles within 2 months. Every week you do 3 workouts that gradually get harder and harder until you eventually can run 3 miles, no guarantees you'll go fast, that'll come later. I've heard a lot of people say how well it worked for them so I figure, why not give it a shot? Starting Sunday I'm starting the C25K with my mom and let's just hope I survive this!

No comments:

Post a Comment