Thursday, June 27, 2013

Vegetarian Red Pasta Sauce

My stepdad makes the best red pasta sauce I've ever had in my life which probably comes from being raised by an Italian mother.
I had a craving for some pasta and didn't feel like buying a crappy jarred sauce so I figured I'd attempt to recreate my stepdad's sauce and share it with you guys.

Vegetarian Red Pasta Sauce

1 teaspoon olive oil
2 green bell peppers, diced
2 red bell peppers, diced
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1-28 oz and 1-14.5 oz can of crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 cup chopped or sliced black olives

Heat olive oil on medium to medium-high heat and add the onions and peppers. Saute until softened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the minced garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and salt & herbs. Stir and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Be careful to lower the heat until it just simmers or you'll get tomato splattering everwhere.
Remove the bay leaves and add the olives. Serve over any kind of pasta you'd like!


How was it?
Just as good as my stepdad's if I do say so myself. It was still thick from the peppers and onion and had just enough of a spiciness from the red pepper flakes. Michael practically inhaled his whole plate of spaghetti and I got approval from his mom and stepdad. It makes a bunch so you can put some in a bag and freeze it for the next time you want some pasta.

Also make sure you wear an apron if you somehow splatter tomato on  yourself when you're stirring it...not like I did that or anything.
 Michael's awesome Darth Vader apron

No comments:

Post a Comment