Monday, February 13, 2012

Weekend Recap

Happy Monday everyone!
Sorry I've been a little MIA for a little bit, I've been so focused on work and the gym that I forget to write about what I'm up to!

My training for the Wharf to Wharf is going really well. My mom is having some knee troubles so instead of running she's been walking while I keep up with my training. Last week's training consisted of 2 reps of 1.5 minute jog 1.5 minute walk, 3 minute jog 3 minute walk. Doesn't sound so bad, but once I hit that 2nd 3 minute jog I was about ready to fall off the treadmill. The second day of training I increased the incline to 0.5% incline which doesn't sound like much, but it does make a difference when you're trying to power through a 3 minute jog. This upcoming week is even more challenging, but I'll write about that once the time comes.

This weekend my friend and I made some yummy Valentine's Day treats for our friends which turned out absolutely amazing. I made 2 different kind of truffles and she made red velvet cakes with orange buttercream (compliments of moi) and sugar cookies. Sugar overload much? I made the truffles a little more decadent (and better for you...or as better for you as chocolate truffles can be) by using dark chocolate. I split the ganache up (and ate a little as well, quality control and all that jazz) and made a batch of raspberry and a batch of peppermint. The raspberry where my absolute favorite, but the peppermint where damn tasty as well and tasted like Thin Mints. Yum! Want to make your own truffles? They're insanely easy, trust me.

Start with some heavy whipping cream and really good quality chocolate.
Measure out the chocolate and cream at a 1:1 ratio (example: 8 ounces of chocolate use 8 ounces or 1 cup of cream)
Put the chocolate in a bowl while the cream heats up on the stove, bring it just to a boil then pour over the chocolate.
Stir for a long time until the chocolate melts and is super smooth.
This is when you add flavoring if you'd like (like raspberry extract)
Pour into a pan that's been lined with plastic wrap for easier clean up
Put into the freezer until firm, let stand at room temperature for a few minutes to become pliable.
Scoop or cut into pieces, roll into a ball with your hands; I recommend using gloves here.
Roll in crushed Rice Krispies, cocoa powder, anything you want.
Ta-da, you've just made truffles!

Have a happy Valentine's Day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment